One of the primary academic goals at Waverly is that each student works to his or her highest potential. This is also true in sports, which enrich student life and the school community. We believe that participation in sports can contribute significantly to the physical, social, and emotional well-being of our students. Athletes are encouraged to develop their skills and ability to work as a team. As a result, our coaches focus on maximizing the participation of all team members. Success is measured in terms of personal development and the team’s overall progress.
The athletics program allows students to compete at the middle school level (which includes grades 5th through 8th) in fall, winter, and spring sports in the Foothill League. Sports include flag football, volleyball, basketball, tennis, and soccer. The high school athletic program allows students to compete in cross-country, soccer, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and track in the International League, affiliated with the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF).
An annual athletic fee partially covers facilities, referees, and equipment ($200 for one sport; $300 for two or more sports; tennis is a separate fee).
The following are requirements for athletic participation for all Waverly student athletes. Participants must:
- Maintain a satisfactory academic and behavioral record.
- Be punctual and maintain consistent attendance at school.
- Be present at school throughout the day of a contest in order to compete.
- Complete medical examinations prior to first practice and competition.
- Have a transportation permission slip on file.
- Attend all practices, games, and tournaments while adhering to team rules as communicated by team coaches.
- Strive for exemplary behavior at all times. Waverly athletes are subject to the expectations, policies, and consequences of the Parent/Student Handbook at school, school events, team practices, and games.
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the loss of team participation.
Athletes are also strongly encouraged to attend the awards event in the spring, which recognizes team and individual accomplishments.
Some of the highlights of the athletics program in recent years include:
- The high school boys’ basketball team made CIF playoffs in 2019.
- The girls’ middle school soccer team was undefeated in the spring of 2019 and were division winners, finishing in 2nd place.
- The middle school boys’ flag football and girls’ volleyball teams went to playoffs in the Foothill Sports League in 2018.
- The high school coed soccer team expanded in the 2018 – 2019 year because of increased interest from students. The coed soccer team won the 2018 7x7 soccer championship.
- The middle school started a coed tennis team in 2017, and the high school started a coed tennis team in 2018.
For questions about the athletics program, please e‑mail athletic director, Joseph Dennis.